Owie Simpson is a painter and printmaker. She is known for her Big Sky landscapes, African fertility dolls, Holy Cows and Pachamama figures. Woodcut and silk screen prints.
She studied Art and Art History to University entrance level. She has a Bachelor of Commerce from Victoria University, Wellington.
Once her youngest child started school. Instead of going back to work, she realized she wished to return to making art and follow an artistic pathway. She studied for 2 years with Roberto Paulet at Inverlochy Art School,Wellington completing his master class. This was the start to 16 years painting and printmaking. Roberto taught her to look differently and always challenge her to take the next step in expressing her art. She has never looked back.
Owie has travelled to many countries and along the way she has become fascinated with other cultures, in particular ethnic beliefs especially relating to fertility. She has completed three series relating to that theme.
Over the last 16 years she has continued to study art and fine tune her skills. She has cherry picked courses with selected artists in England, USA and in New Zealand.
Owie is a printmaker. She works on her printmaking when she completes a painting series. Having a change helps her refocus and keep it fresh. She creates woodcuts and silk screen prints. She has a lot of fun with these. Usually the subject matter involves animals, another of her great loves.
- 2004 & 2005 Inverlochy Art School with Roberto Paulet
- 2011 & 2012. Inverlochy Art School (Venetian Master Techniques) Roberto Paulet
- Inverlochy Art School (Painting the nude) Nick Cuthell
- Inverlochy Art School (Abstract Expressionism) Dhyana Beaumont
- 2014 Inverlochy Art School (woodcut printmaking ) Sheyne Tuffery
- 2017 & 2018 East London Print Studio. (Silk Screen Printmaking)
- 2017 Workshop at the National Gallery London with Elise Ansel
- 2018 Summer School with Emily Ball – England
- 2019 Painting with Nick Bodimeade – England
- 2020 CVP (Creative Visionary Programme) 12 weeks, with Nick Winton – USA
- 2004 Ten Exhibition at the Inverlochy Art School,
- 2005 Mixed Baga at the Inverlochy Art School (Master Class),
- 2006 Affordable Art Show and private commissions,
- 2007 Treisprezece group Exhibition at the St James,
- 2008 PICTAT group /exhibition at the St James (Holy Cow),
- 2009 PICTAT Exhibition at the St James & ARTBOURNE Exhibition
- 2010 PICTAT group at the St James, Framed Exhibition, ARTBOURNE Exhibition
- Thistle Hall Exhibition - Isn’t She a Doll in conjunction with Sarah Hall,
- 2011 New Zealand Art Show & Kapiti Arts Trail
- 2012 Framed Exhibition, ARTBOURNE & Kapiti Arts Trail
- 2016 ARTBOURNE Exhibition & Wadestown Art House Exhibition
- 2018 ARTBOURNE Exhibition
- 2019 Wadestown Art House exhibition
- 2020 have something to say exhibition
ARTEL – Otaki, New Zealand, pints
Prints on display at the Mary Potter Hospice, Wellington